Doctor Approved Treatments for Bad Breath
There’s nothing worse than a poorly timed case of bad breath. Also referred to as halitosis, smelly breath can be caused by many things, including an excess of bacteria, a tooth infection, and simply eating certain foods. If you’re looking for a quick fix, here are some doctor approved, easy remedies.
• Water: sometimes eliminating a less-than-perfect smell coming from the mouth is as simple as drinking a glass of water. Bacteria hate oxygen, which is found in our saliva. You can build up your saliva by enjoying some H2O.
• Vegetables: veggies full of fiber also boost your saliva production, eliminating smelly bacteria. Crunchy vegetables also help remove plaque that has stuck to the teeth and gums.
• Green tea: tea is healthy for us in many ways, one of which is our teeth. A 2007 study showed that the high levels of polyphenols can decrease sulfur compounds, which naturally neutralize the breath. Mint tea has particularly deodorizing effects, especially when it comes to garlic.
• Some experts recommend tea tree oil. Brushing it on the back of the tongue near the gum lines and being sure not to swallow any excess helps to kill any odor-causing bacteria that get stuck in these areas.
• Chewing gum can also increase saliva. However, it is important to be sure you choose a sugar-free stick, as any sugar will combine with and strengthen bacteria, creating the opposite effect.
There are links between bad breath and oral disease. If none of these at-home remedies eliminate your halitosis problem, schedule an appointment with our dentist to find out if there is a bigger underlying cause to this problem.
Back to Blog