What You Should Know about Dental Implants
A dental implant consists of a titanium post that is surgically inserted into the jawbone to serve as the root for a tooth that has been lost. An abutment is attached to the top of this post, above the gumline. A replacement tooth matching the color of the natural teeth can then be attached to the abutment. Widely considered the best treatment for the replacement of missing teeth, dental implants provide a number of benefits over other treatment options.
• Dental implants look, feel and function just like natural teeth. Smile, talk, laugh and eat just as you always did, without the worry that they will move or fall out.
• Dental implants are strong and durable. Unlike bridges which must eventually be replaced, implants are considered permanent and normally last a lifetime.
• Dentures make it difficult to pronounce words. Dental implants, though, allow you to speak normally, just as you always have.
• With dental implants, you can bite into and chew all your favorite foods without restrictions.
• With a dental implant, you can brush and floss just as you would a natural tooth.
• Dental implants prevent the bone loss that traditionally occurs from having missing teeth, preserving your face shape and appearance.
• A dental implant cannot get cavities. (They can still get gum disease though so you need to keep them clean just as you would natural teeth.)
Not everyone is a candidate for dental implants though. In order to have implants, you must:
• Have enough bone available to support an implant
• Have a mouth that is free of gum disease.
To find out if dental implants are right for you, schedule a consultation with our dental implants dentist in San Fernando Valley.
Back to Blog